Review: First Frost by Jennifer Estep

Friday, September 2, 2011

First Frost by Jennifer Estep
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy
Series: Mythos Academy #0.5
I am Gwen Frost, and I have a Gypsy gift. It's called psychometry - that's a fancy way of saying that I see images in my head and get flashes of other people's memories off almost everything I touch, even guys.
My gift makes me kind of nosy. Okay, okay, maybe a lot nosy--to the point of obsession sometimes. I want to know everything about everyone around me. But even I don't want to know the secrets my friend Paige is hiding or the terrible loss that will send me to a new school - Mythos Academy, where the teachers aren't preparing us for the SATs, but to battle Reapers of Chaos. Now I have no friends and no idea how my gift fits in with all these warrior whiz kids. The only thing I do know is that my life is never, ever going to be the same. . .

So this is the prequel to Touch of Frost which is the 1st book in her new young adult series: Mythos Academy. I love her other series: Elemental Assassin. I do like young adult books, but many of them turn me off because of the immaturity level of the characters. It just brings back all the negative of my high school years. We've all been there. I'd rather remember the good times like the boys and not the backstabbing girls, you know?

I think this was a good prequel to the first book which I'm currently reading right now. The first book does go over many of the same things, but as a prequel, this goes into more depth of what happened in the past and how she found herself in her new situation in book one. It's a short novella so it doesn't get into character development much because it's supposed to be a glimpse of the past. It could've been longer so it allowed a better pace. But overall, for a prequel and a novella, it was a good, easy read. It was okay.

0 bibliophiles:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Mzalisakay. What The Smut... 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.